Friday, March 18, 2011

Shake it


I'm pretty sure this is what Banner chugged before he Hulked out.

I bought my first-ever shamrock shake yesterday at McDonald's. The line for the drive-through was longer and than usual, and when I asked the disembodied squawking voice at the intercom  if they had shamrock shakes, I could practically hear the eye-roll. So I wasn't the only one out there scouting the McDonald's drive-throughs in search of the shake.

I kind of love limited-edition foods, particularly if it's candy (I still remember the PowerPuff girls ice cream with great fondness, not the least because my brother would spit out the little half-melted chocolate PowerPuff girls to see which one it was before he ate them) so I was kind of psyched about trying the shamrock shake.

Verdict? Blech. And this is from a confirmed sugar addict, too. I think part of the problem was that my little hamster brain is conditioned to getting mint in conjuction with chocolate, so as I was trying to drink the milkshake, my brain was shrieking wait wait something's wrong we don't recognize this what are you doing?!

And it wasn't just the overwhelming sweetness, it was the weirdness of the unadulterated blast of mint coupled with probably toxic levels of green food dye, which gave the whole thing a weird metallic-yet-tropical flavor, like a lead-coated limeade made in a leftover mojito glass. It also didn't help that I'm about as good at regulating my internal core temperature as a newborn left on an ice floe, so despite the fact that it was hot in the car and I was wearing my usual three layers of clothing plus jacket, I was only three-quarters of the way through the noxious brew before I was shivering uncontrollably. Which was great, because I had to go to the grocery store, and between the sticky green remnants on my face and the twitching, no one tried to talk to me.

But props to you, McDonald's, for being generous with the whipped cream and not forgetting the maraschino cherry.

3 comments:

  1. Shamrock Shakes rock! You clearly have no idea what you are talking about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, completely! I hate looking forward to something badly, then being badly disappointed. Darn it! It was green, and that's what counts!

    When are you coming over to see your Auntie (me)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Easter!! I'm excited about seeing the farm, and I'm happy to take dessert orders if there's anything you want in particular.

    ReplyDelete