Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ready to eat

So, Sociological Images had a great post about combat ration culture - we here in the U.S. of A call those Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) because Oh My God, What Is This (OMGWIT) and I Have Gained Ten Pounds In Two Weeks (IHGTPITW) were too long. I think.

But anyway! This is cool, it's a comparison of combat rations from a few different countries to see how they stack up against each other. Here is an example of an American MRE:


When Dad came home on R&R (that is rest and relaxation to you, or if you're single, it's rumps and rears, or, if you have a family, it's everybody shut the hell up and go outside so Dad can sleep) he would bring his extra MREs for my brother and me, and I thought they were the coolest thing ever! And how lucky the soldiers were to get these awesome packages that came with a bottle opener! And matches! And Chiclets! Squirt cheese!

Of course, my enthusiasm would be somewhat dampened at the prospect of eating nothing but MREs for weeks, which I have never done but have on good authority does some really interesting things to your digestive system.

Also, the Italian MRE looks better than the American one. Bah. You can still get MREs at the commissary, I find them totally nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment