Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fun and games

So, here's the thing. I just finished reading George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons, and initially I'd thought maybe I'd review them - all of them. Then I thought, no, that would be a long ridiculous slog, right? So here, I am summing up the entire series for you:

Haters gonna hate. Rapers gonna rape. And fighters gonna fight.

That's it! That's all! That's all you need, right there.

So the whole Game of Thrones thing kind of exploded after HBO started the TV series, and I'm dying to know if they're going to try to make a go of it with the second book after the first series ends. Dying to know, as in, I probably will not watch it just like I stopped watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand after they killed the pretty pretty lady Gaia, because I spent most of the show slack-jawed waiting for her to reappear so I could rock and croon "prettttty" and imagine having lovely porcelain skin like hers.

So, yes, Game of Thrones is a total guilty pleasure for me, just like Alice Borchardt's werewolves-in-Rome series was (The Silver Wolf, Night of the Wolf, The Wolf King). But! In my defense, that was some damn imaginative historical fiction, and Borchardt poured a lot of research into that series. If you ever wanted to know what the Roman equivalent of toilet paper was, read that series.

Is GoT (sorry, sorry, I know) good? Well, that depends on how you're defining good. It's not like this is some Norman Mailer going on here, right? And I have no earthly idea how Martin thinks he's going to wrap this up in two more books. But it's a gripping series, for lack of a better word, because Martin is absolutely not afraid to kill off his characters. Nothing is sacred! So it's sort of a game of man who will die next please not that guy I'm trying not to get too attached AHHHHHH DAMMIT.

Please, please not Tyrion. I'll be good forever.

So, yes. Read it! Be prepared to feel a little embarrassed. Maybe put a brown paper cover over it like that guy in class did the other day. But I saw, guy! And we had a sort of wink-wink-nudge-nudge moment with our eyebrows, like yes, I like it - you too? Our little secret!

And that's okay. Let the haters hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment